Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Paleo Life: A Cost Experiment

A friend of mine messaged me the other day and asked me if I would be willing to share with everyone how much we are spending on food.  It's funny because I had just talked to a Paleo friend of mine about it just before that. 

My Paleo friend said she feels like she spends less on food.  I have only been doing this for under two weeks but I felt like I was spending MORE and to be honest, I don't really care if I spend more.  I think it is kinda sad that Americans worry so much about how much they spend on food.  In all honesty, food should be one of the things we spend the most money on.  GOOD food nourishes our bodies and keeps us happy and healthy.  Anyway, I will get off my soap box....

So to try and figure out how expensive/inexpensive it is to eat Paleo, I will tell you all how much I spent on food this month.  Then at the end of the month I will tell you what is left, then we can kind of get an idea of cost.

Here is what I had left in my freezer(meat): 7 pork chops, 1 whole chicken and 3 chicken breasts.

We went to 3 stores today: Sam's Club, Price Chopper and The Mustard Seed(health food store).  Here is a quick breakdown of what we got and spent.

SAM'S CLUB
We spent: $197.47($158.53 on just food)
(this includes toilet paper, a big thing of coffee and some sales books for GH. So subtract about $38.94 since we are only talking about food)

Here is a list of the big things we got:
7lbs of bacon
10lbs of ground beef
7lbs of pork shoulder
6lbs of Cod fillets
Organic apples
Beef jerky
Cashews
Avocados
Veggie Medley
Bananas

The first paycheck of the month has the most leftover so we like to go to Sam's and stock up.  I usually wouldn't buy a pork shoulder but I found an awesome recipe that I want to try called TexMex Crockpot Carnitas

PRICE CHOPPER
* I will tell you that Price Chopper isn't the cheapest grocery store in the world but I really like their produce.  They have a lot of organic veggies and their produce is much better than Walmart.

We spent: $67.85

We mainly got some of the veggies that we didn't want in bulk or that Sam's didn't have like spinach, onions and artichokes. We also got several spices and some Tapioca flour so I can try a new Paleo bread recipe.  We had to get 2 half gallons of Almond Milk(that's what Corbin drinks) and coffee creamer(yes we cheat with coffee creamer! lol). I also got some Olive Oil mayo(since we know I SUCK at making my own) and some Stevia in the Raw(for when I want to sweeten something but not use sugar).

THE MUSTARD SEED
*This place is pretty over priced but they are the only health food store in the area so they get away with it.

We spent: $61.34

The main purpose for going there was to get freshly made almond butter(about $10/lb) and some supplements for me. We also got a super foods mix for Brian to put into his smoothies and a few other little things.

Really, besides the almond butter, going to Mustard Seed was just cause we wanted to. :)

So that's the breakdown....I will update when we go to the store again since I am sure we will end up needing more veggies or fruit.  I haven't meal planned or anything lately though.  I am enjoying throwing things together and making my own random meals. We have a few recipes we want to try, so we will just make them on whatever day ends up being best.  Our life has been crazy hectic lately!

No comments: